Welcome to Errattic! We encourage you to customize the type of information you see here by clicking the Preferences link on the top of this page.
Man Beat Up Teen Who Was Allegedly Molesting 5-Year-Old as Community Rallies to Fund Legal Defense
Strangers have donated more than $30,000 to cover legal expenses for a 20-year-old Ohio man following his arrest last week on accusations he assaulted a 17-year-old he allegedly caught molesting a 5-year-old.
Richard Adams is out on bond following his arrest Thursday on a single count of felonious assault.
A statement from the Eastlake Police Department confirms the allegations against Adams, who is accused of beating the teen after allegedly walking in on him sexually assaulting the little boy.
According to local reports, Adams has acknowledged attacking the teen.
CALIFORNIA MAN CONVICTED OF USING UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS FOR FORCED LABOR
The owner of a construction companies in California was convicted of committing forced labor, according to a Monday press release from the United States Attorney's Office from the Northern District of California.
Job Torres Hernandez, 38, was convicted on one count of "forced labor" and one count of "harboring illegal aliens for commercial advantage or private financial gain," according to the press release.
Job Torres recruited workers from Mexico, who he forced to live in poor conditions and did not pay, the statement said. Undocumented immigrants, identified in court documents by their initials, testified at trial about the conditions. They said they were forced to work 24-hour shifts, lived in a commercial warehouse and a garage in Hayward and were restricted in using bathrooms and showers.
A superseding indictment, filed in December, said Hernandez obtained the labor of his employees by "physical restraint and threats of force, threats of serious harm, means of abuse and threatened abuse of law and legal process and means of a scheme, plan and pattern intended to cause his employees to believe that if they did not perform such labor or services, they would suffer serious harm."
Hate Endures in America, and With It Our Effort to Document the Damage
Since the start of 2019, in places across the United States, there have been no fewer than five killings in which victims’ race, ethnicity or national origin appears to have been a factor.
Arthur Martunovich allegedly walked into a Chinese restaurant in New York City in January and killed three men with a hammer. Police said he later explained his motive: “Chinese men are awful.”
On Feb. 23, José Muñoz, 25, was shot and killed in the lobby of an Olive Garden in Louisville, Kentucky. The suspect in the killing allegedly used racial slurs when a child in Muñoz’s party at the restaurant bumped into him twice. Muñoz’s family insists he was targeted because of his ethnicity as a Mexican immigrant.
On March 6, scores of mourners gathered on the campus of Indiana University to protest the killing of Mustafa Ayoubi, a 32-year-old graduate of the school.
He’d been shot and killed in February in Indianapolis, following a road rage incident. Witnesses told police the suspect yelled slurs about Islam and told Ayoubi to “go back to your country.”
Why far-right attackers aren’t charged as domestic terrorists
'Horrible attack': Catholic priest stabbed during live-streamed church service in Canada as stunned parishioners look on
A Catholic priest was stabbed while celebrating Mass in Montreal Friday morning as stunned parishioners looked on, according to officials and video footage.
The horrifying incident, which authorities said was not terror-related, unfolded just before 9 a.m. at the historic St. Joseph's Oratory, leaving Father Claude Grou, 77, with lacerations to his upper body., according to Montreal police spokeswoman Caroline Chevrefils. He was rushed to a local hospital where he was listed in stable condition, according to the Montreal Diocese.
Judge sends teen's locker-room rape case to juvenile court
A judge has ruled that a 15-year-old accused of instigating the rape of fellow members of his Maryland high school football team will be tried as a juvenile.
NBC Washington reported Thursday that the teen is one of five boys charged with rape last fall. He is also the last of four teens whose case has been moved from adult court to juvenile court.
Catholic priest accused of groping woman during last rites
About 390 Catholic priests, 6 nuns in Ill. named as alleged sexual abusers on massive list
Arizona healthcare worker charged with sexually assaulting sedated patient
Family Says Dog Died Saving Them From Teen Gunman
A Houston, Texas family claims that, just over a week ago, their dog saved their lives after a gunman busted into their home while food was being prepped for their 13-year-old's birthday party. He allegedly opened fire after a confrontation took place where he was asked to leave. There were reportedly more than a dozen kids in attendance at the time.
Laura Martinez says the event happened on March 9 at her home, when a teen boy that the family was familiar with entered the home with a gun. The armed teen fired eight shots, three of which struck Martinez and members of her family. According to a GoFundMe, one bullet hit Martinez in her leg, another hit her son, Taylor Hollier, in his foot, and two struck her stepdaughter, Valerie Pace, with one going into her thigh and the other hitting next to her spine.
Senior safety in focus in wake of Palm Springs home invasion and sexual assault
"It is a concern, it is my age bracket, it is a very serious matter," said Frobish.
86-year-old Chuck Miller of Yucca Valley says Monday's incident should serve as a "wake up call".
"My reaction is seniors hopefully will be more alert and more astute to their surroundings," said Miller.
The Palm Springs Police Department revealed some details of the crime during a press conference Tuesday.
Calvin Klein's ex-boyfriend charged with attacking man with frying pan
Calvin Klein’s former lover, Nicholas Gruber, 28, was arrested last week (15 March) for the alleged assault of a man with a frying pan.
A friend of Gruber’s, Brandon Steele, 26 reportedly aided the ex-gay porn star.
Police said the pair attacked an unnamed man following a dispute over money at Steele’s New York City apartment.
The pair have been charged with second-degree assault and unlawful imprisonment in the first degree.
Gay Star News
N.Y. Man Murdered Wife, Then Tried to Frame 12-Year-Old Daughter by Writing Fake Confession Note
A 45-year-old man has been convicted of the 2009 murder of his estranged, wealthy wife who was found dead in the bathtub of her tony Manhattan apartment the day before she planned to cut him out of her will, multiple outlets report.
On Wednesday, a jury found Roderick Covlin guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Shele Danishefsky Covlinthis link opens in a new tab, 47, The New York Times reports.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on April 10.
State Supreme Court overturns lower court ruling, says Sandy Hook families can sue gun manufacturer Remington
The Connecticut Supreme Court Thursday narrowly reversed a ruling by a lower court judge dismissing a lawsuit by the families of victims of the Sandy Hook shooting against Remington Arms Company, allowing the case to proceed.
In a 4-3 decision the court remanded the landmark gun case back to Bridgeport Superior Court and possibly created a path that other mass shooting victims can follow to get around the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, known as PLCAA, which has protected the manufacturers of the AR-15 assault rifle from lawsuits.
Teen Who Bludgeoned 10-Year-Old To Death With Metal Pipe And Left Her In A Ditch Sentenced For ‘Heinous’ Crime
According to an affidavit, Zellmer hit Campbell in the head five times with the pipe, then dragged her into a ditch, where she was later found dead. She was found naked from the waist down and police said there was evidence to suggest she'd been sexually assaulted. Zellmer initially had been charged with sexual assault in addition to murder, but those charges were dropped as part of the plea deal.
Oklahoma Teen, 17, Pleads Guilty in Teacher's Death, Rape of an 81-Year-Old Woman
He once danced on Broadway. Now he’s behind bars after murdering his lover.
Marcus Bellamy was a performer. He danced on Broadway as part of “Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark” and a replacement performer for “Tarzan.” He even has a few television and movie roles in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” “Smash,” and “Across the Universe.”
Now, his resume includes his latest role: convicted murderer. Bronx Supreme Court Justice John W. Carter sentenced Bellamy to 20 years in prison on Tuesday for the murder of his partner.
'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett hit with 16 count felony indictment by grand jury
An Illinois grand jury has indicted "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett on 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report, according to the Cook County State Attorney's Office.
The grand jury returned two separate sets of charges, Robert Foley, a senior advisor in the state attorney's office told ABC News.
The first set is related to what Smollett told officers about the alleged attack, including that the attackers called him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with their hands, put a noose around his neck, and poured some sort of chemical substance on him.
Taco Bell workers fired over video showing them assaulting customers
This Philadelphia couple’s “run for the border” turned into a real dash for their safety.
Brian Reese, 38, said he and his girlfriend were assaulted by employees at a Taco Bell in Center City after he complained that he had waited 45 minutes for an order of burritos, tacos and nachos.
Reese said the employees — who didn’t seem to be too busy at the time — were telling impatient customers like him and his friends that they were swamped with Grubhub orders at the Chestnut Street location that needed to be completed first. But three of the workers apparently had enough criticism from the hangry customers — prompting them to jump over the counter and follow Reese outside, where they attacked him and his girlfriend, shocking video shows.
Catholic Church cardinals implicated in sex abuse, cover-ups
The conviction of French Cardinal Philippe Barbarin for failing to report a known pedophile priest to police deepens the crisis confronting an already discredited Catholic Church hierarchy. The verdict handed down by magistrates Thursday shows the church's once-untouchable "princes" increasingly are judged accountable for priests who abuse children and the superiors who allowed the abuse to continue.
After centuries of impunity, cardinals from Chile to Australia and points in between are facing justice in both the Vatican and government courts for their own sexual misdeeds or for having shielded abusers under their watch..
Here is a look at cases implicating Catholic cardinals, members of the exclusive club of prelates that advises the pope and eventually elects his successor.