Health/Food Posts Tagged as 'Product'
Welcome to Errattic! We encourage you to customize the type of information you see here by clicking the Preferences link on the top of this page.
Nearly 50 tons of ground beef recalled due to possible E. coli contamination
The weekend recall of nearly 100,000 pounds of ground beef possibly tainted with E. coli is the second large meat recall in as many months by JBS USA, a unit of the world's largest meat processor.
Swift Beef Co. recalled 99.260 pounds of ground beef that many be contaminated with E. coli, a potentially deadly bacteria, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced.
Swift Beef shipped the recalled meat to retail distributors for further processing and food service providers for institutional use in five states, including California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington, the agency said.
Romaine lettuce is not safe to eat, CDC warns U.S. consumers
Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat in any form, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday in a food safety alert in response to a new outbreak of illnesses caused by a particularly dangerous type of E. coli bacteria.
CDC told consumers to throw away any romaine lettuce they may already have purchased. Restaurants should not serve it, stores should not sell it, and people should not buy it, no matter where or when the lettuce was grown. It doesn’t matter if it is chopped, whole head or part of a mix.
Duncan Hines cake mix recall: FDA probes salmonella risk
Food giant Conagra Brands is recalling 2.4 million boxes of its Duncan Hines cake mix, with federal health officials warning that one variety of the popular product tested positive for salmonella.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has received reports of five illnesses linked to Duncan Hines, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Reports of additional illnesses are expected due to time lags between when an illness occurs and when the CDC receives confirmed lab results.
Cancer-linked chemical glyphosate found in morning cereal
Recalled eggs linked to salmonella cases in seven states
Eggs from Gravel Ridge Farms in Cullman, Alabama, have been linked to 38 cases of salmonella in seven states, the US Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday.
The cage-free large eggs, which were sold in grocery stores in Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama, were recalled in September after illnesses were confirmed. The recalled eggs have a UPC code of 7-06970-38444-6 and best-by dates of July 25 through October 3. A full list of locations where the eggs were sold can be found on the recall announcement.
Ten people have been hospitalized, but there have been no reported deaths, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Australia strawberries contaminated with needles prompt reward for information
An Australian state is offering a reward for information after several people reported finding sewing needles or pins in strawberries.
The government of Queensland has offered $100,000 Australian dollars (about $71,510) to anyone with information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the strawberry contamination.
"Whoever is behind this is not just putting families at risk across Queensland and the rest of Australia -- they are putting an entire industry at risk," Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said in a statement.
Coffee Isn’t the Worst Thing for Kids, but It’s Definitely Not the Best
It’s not clear how many children drink coffee, but more than 70 percent of kids consume caffeine on a given day, according to a report from the American Academy of Pediatrics. This seems to only increase as they get older — caffeine consumption has more than doubled among adolescents since 1980, research shows. Kids who drank either coffee or soft drinks had double the risk of sleep disturbances in a large study of over 4,000 school-aged children. Although the FDA does not have formal recommendations regarding caffeine intake for children, Canada has a maximum limit of 45 mg per day (about one can of soda). The AAP is even more strict, and discourages parents from allowing consumption of caffeinated beverages altogether.
Airport security trays carry more germs than toilets, study finds
Next time you go through airport security, you may want to wash your hands afterwards. A new study finds airport security bins are a hotbed for germs that can cause illnesses in humans, such as the flu and the common cold.
California May Make Abortion Pill Available at All Public University Student Health Centers
California, the nation’s most populous state and a national leader in protecting and advancing reproductive health, could become the first to ensure that medication abortion is available to college students in public universities.
Even cops say this new Alexa 'skill' might scare off potential burglars
Homeowners have always come up with clever ways to scare away potential burglars. They leave the television on while they’re away, install dummy cameras or plant the classic “BEWARE OF DOG” sign in the front yard, even though it’s just a teacup poodle in the backyard.
A new “skill” for Amazon’s Echo smart speaker takes things a step further: Away Mode attempts to trick potential burglars into thinking somebody is home by playing long audio clips that sound like real – albeit absurd – conversations that could be happening inside.
Almond milk recalled because it may contain real milk
Some cartons of almond milk are being recalled because they may contain real milk. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, HP Hood LLC is voluntarily recalling more than 145,000 half-gallon cartons of refrigerated Vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk.
The product is safe to consume unless you have a milk allergy or sensitivity, the FDA says.
Fresh Express salad recall: Chiquita-owned firm linked to tainted McDonald's, grocery lettuces
YES, CHIPOTLE HAS FOOD SAFETY ISSUES. THAT’S BECAUSE IT SERVES REAL FOOD
Google Home too boring? You want Gatebox’s cute virtual character in your life
We are one step closer to a sci-fi future where we can choose to live with artificially intelligent robots and digital humans. This is the Gatebox and at its most basic, it’s a piece of Internet-of-Things (IoT) technology for controlling your smart home. However, look closer and you’ll find that inside lives Hikari Azuma, an artificially intelligent virtual character ready to share your life. Moving beyond our simple interactions with Alexa or Google Home, Hikari-san will encourage you throughout the day, welcome you home, remember anniversaries, and ultimately, be your own digital companion.
This High School Teacher Quit His Job to Deliver Groceries. Now He's Making $100,000 a Year
For the past two decades, Ed Hennessey has spent his days teaching high school and his nights picking up shifts at Blockbuster, Steak ‘n Shake and Target — “you name it, I’ve done it,” he jokes.
But as of this summer, Hennessey is retired from education. He’s found a much more lucrative job delivering groceries.
The Vindication of Cheese, Butter, and Full-Fat Milk
As a young child I missed a question on a psychological test: “What comes in a bottle?”
The answer was supposed to be milk. I said beer.
Milk almost always came in cartons and plastic jugs, so I was right. But this isn’t about rehashing old grudges. I barely even think about it anymore! The point is that the test was a relic of a time before me, when milk did come in bottles. It arrived on doorsteps each morning, by the hand of some vanishing man. And just as such a world was alien to me as a kid, the current generation of small children might miss a similar question: “Where does milk come from?”
Many would likely answer almonds or beans or oats.
Light-Up Sketchers Blamed for 9-Year-Old Boy's Second-Degree Burns
Peyton Foster, a 9-year old boy in New York, has suffered second-degree burns from his light-up sneakers. According to Metro, in the U.K., the burns occurred after his Skechers Skech Rayz leaked acid onto his feet.
The malfunction occurred when the sneakers got wet while he was playing at school. The water caused the shoes to leak acid onto his feet as he walked for the remainder of the day. His mother Sherry did not become aware of the burns until a day later.
"[His feet] were a little bit red, I didn’t think anything of it – maybe that they were cold from playing in the water," she told Metro. "The next day he came home and was really complaining."